Tips on Finding a Dental Home
Your goal is to find a professional you are comfortable visiting regularly for the long term. You want to find a dental home where you and your family receive comprehensive care and have your questions and concerns answered with respect.
Ensure that you understand:
- The education and training of the dentist and dental staff.
- The practice’s mission and vision. How do they view dental care?
- What type of continuing education the dentist takes and how often.
- What services and treatments the practice offers.
- Under what circumstances a family dentist would refer care to a dental specialist.
- How the office handles fees and payments.
- The office’s arrangements for dental emergencies you may have.
- The office’s policy on treating young children—do they allow children to be accompanied to the treatment areas?
The key is that you must be completely comfortable with the dental office, understand their philosophy on treatment and payment, easily see the cleanliness of the treatment and welcome areas, experience the professionalism of the staff, and feel that the doctor is working with you to place you and your family in optimal oral health. If you have questions, speak up and ask them. If the answers do not match your expectations, you may want to seek out another dentist. When you find your dental home, the place where you know your oral health is in good hands, you will have made a choice that pays off for years to come.